I think abother way I could have presented this is by making an example out of the structure of a small segment of a game I am putting together.
This is a TBS invasion of a starsystem that for the simplicities sake will be a 1v1 match so that in in one turn, it will be resolved. 1 turn would be the equivilant to perhaps a week real time. Some things have been changed from the original design so that others can't steal the ideas( not that mine are great or anything, but I havn't seen people useing some of this stuff in games, so I want some things to be considered my own). Again to keep things simple, this system will have 5 rings with 3(1 moon each) habbitable planets 1(2 moons) unihabitable giant and one asteroid belt seperating the giant and inner planets. To keep is simple, Player A attacks from the outer reaches of the solar system( the typiclly portrayed way). The inner planets, PB1, PB2, PB3, and their moons psb1, psb 2, psb3, The Belt and the gaint PB4, and its moons psb4 and psb5.
I wont be going into detail of where planets are or how longer turns and the like are tkign and what not, that is too detailed for this.
Campaign Turn 1
- Player A - System Assault Ship(think something like the Alien Mothership in ID4) jumps in to the oustkirts of the Polaris system and is detected on system scaners and patrol ships. The larger System seige ships detach from grapples off the System Assault Ship and move into formation. Bay doors open on the SAs and fleet, picket, and patrol ships are launched and begin to move into formation. The intend of Player A is for the system to be Striped of reasources except for PB2, psb3, and psb5 which have been deemed fit for colonies.
- Player B - had sent 3 fleets from systems further out to bolster the defenses here. 2 of them are a turn(week) or more out, one will arrive in less then a week, expected at 5 campaign turns(days). PB2 is the primary world for this system and as such has the most Defences and Infrasturcture. It also has access to the Inter-Solar Gate, and System Gate Hub.
- A - Preliminary sensors show high energy readings around PB2, moderate energy readings for PB1, psb1, psb2, PB3, psb3, and The Belt. psb4 and 5 seem to be light. The First turns action will be to begin Construction of a JumpGate, a stealth recon of PB2, and a recon in force of psbs 4 & 5.
- B - readings indicate a large energy reading on the edge of the system, first riority is to get a data on the fleet. A skirmish force will be sent. Since the gates around psbs 4 & 5 are not yet up, ships will use the PB4 gate to jump in and form a pirimiter. Main defense fleet orginizes. Little is known of the race B is fighting other then they use Jumpgates, near instintaneous travel from system to system.
- A - Stealth recon drone reveals Major gate network, and a large gate seems a hyper gate, not as advanced as As gate. Both force recon elements reach their destination and find little in the way defenses, and each have a gate under construction, scanners show ships heading for both groups. A seige force must be sent to engage the Gate network at PB2 1/2 the fleet is mobilized. The recons engange,
--- Combat --- psb4 - LRMs with ECM are targeted on the defense platforms, with fighter/bombers from the LCV in support, BBs and BCs provide longrange fire. No casualties, a glassing of the planetoid commences.
--- Combat --- psb5 - Simultaneously with teh glassing of psb4, LRMs w/ECM with fighter/bomber cover are sent for the orbital defenses. BBs and BCs moving behind them to set-up in Orbital Bombardment formation over the planetoid. Capsule Marine are launched to the planetoidal surface to secure beachhead locations. Power suit marines are behind the fleet ships waiting to be deployed.
- B - the ships sent to psbs 4 & 5 will group on 5 to make a stand so the civilians can finish pulling out.
--- combat --- psb5 - the defense force reaches psb5 and seen capsuls being fired to the surface. the orbital defenses are not very effective since invaders are firing from outside the effective range. the capsule ships are firing in a hole created after the orbital defenses were blown up. computer reprograming done to the defenses send them toward the enemy. the 2nd defense fleet arrive on the outskirts of hte combat as the 1st fleet engages. Orders are to engage at close range since hte attackers are fighting from long range.
Turn 3 ( less detail, time to bring the TBS advantage Home)
- A - the battle at psb5 goes poorly do to a lack of the enemies inclanation of close range combat. A small force is assembled and sent to counter this. The recon element from psb4 arrives to assist, and the Seige fleet attacks PB2. Inside the empire, 4 systems are undersiege form a bug like enemy the terraforming and colonization of 6 new systems has begun. Defense forces have been sent to the 4 systems in question. New ships have been built and are forming into fleets. New advancement in laser weaponry and metalurgy allow for ship upgrades, designs must be made and with the relatively new disoveries in explosives, new fighter/bombers can be put into action.
- B - The first assisting fleet from outside the solar systems comes through te gate and begins to form up as small defnse forces are sent via the system gate network to protect their respective worlds. A support element is formed and sent to psb5 via the PB4 gate. The fleet that just came through the gate has the new drone tech integrated which means more ships for less people.
I realized looking back, that I didnt do that great a job on this one, but I wont delete it either, seems like a waste. Anywho, the "--- combat ---" would essentially be realtime combat taking place. you would have that times like 10 and you might get a picture of what is going on, way to much to have in an RTS.
I would love to go into more detail, but it would take much longer posts for that.
What Ironclad and Stardock are trying to do are great, I think they may have something here. But for Hiddenranbir, they arent making the game very complex. There is no ship desgin, you get what they give you. I didn't gather that there would be any planetary combat, and since it focuses on combat, other mechanics wont be that complex either.