I have some questions about modules and weapons that I cant seem to find answers, anywhere, so here goes.
Some of the ship modules, seem to allow stacking. Specifically
Now are those modules benefits cumulative if you put both on a ship? Or does the the top tier one override the lower tier one making it a waste of space?
Related to this, do the FLEET SUPPORT versions of these, also stack with the individual ship modules of the same effect? Or can there only be one auto-repair effect, for example, active at any one time? For fleet of course, there are 3 tiers with a 'value' whose strength and effect, is not at all explained (anywhere), of 4, 6, and 8 respectively. What a value of say '4' means is unclear except for the fact it is is the entry tier fleet repair. Beyond that what this actually means is anyones guess.
Yes, these modules are allowed to be stacked by the game, but again, nothing indicates how this effect is applied to the ship. The ship design window, gives 0 indication what level, strength, magnitude w/e, of auto-repair any given design has on it. The information is simply not there. The game also does a poor job of explaining out-of-battle auto-repair, vs battle repair imo. Do any modules actually speed repair while out of battle? This does not appear to be the case and I have to wonder why. From an in-universe POV, an auto-repair system out of battle would be a high priority piece of tech for any fleet. But if repairs can only take place while you are in battle, this makes only, partial sense at best.
Now for evasion, there are two individual tiers, Rank I, 10%, and Rank II, 25%. Again, do they stack for a combined evasion of 35% and can those also be further boosted with the Fleet support modules? Not clear at all from anything in game.
Thulim Hull Reinforcement.
At the end of the tech-tree, on a L type hull, a single one of these adds a whooping 9.25 hp for a mass of 12.2.
So, is adding these at any quantity a worthwhile proposition? Given that our ships gain HP via experience (leveling), and a lot more than any THR could ever provide, do the THR modules actually boost a ship survivability out of the dock? Or are they a total waste of space better spent on armor, or anything else really?
Related to this, why are THR in the SUPPORT modules menu and NOT in MODULES, where they clearly belong? They are not a fleet effect so.....
Military Star bases. Do there Fleet modules stack in the case of multiple MIL bases? I know Econ bases stack their economic effects and do culture etc, but, not sure about MIL ones.
Also re MIL bases. It has always been a big disappointment, as well as headscratcher, that the basic ATK\DEf modules, not the fleet effect ones, and HP, are exactly the same as a mining or econ base. Again, you would think a MIL base, would just be tougher. A lot tougher than your basic mining or trade base, but...no. The fleet effects on a MIL base are pretty extensive and cover a lot of ground, but attacking a MIL base directly is no more difficult than attacking a mining station. Which seems...odd to say the least.
Why are Kinetic weapons so badly broken?
L-Hull with 5 Engines + all weapons
Hull spaces > 331
Quantum Drivers: Total Attack - 192
Singularity Drivers: Total Attack - 240 (top tier)
Durantium Drivers: Total Attack - 303*
*Available early in the tech tree and outclass even the top end game weapon. Contrast this with torpedoes and beam tech which scales upwards quickly on you hit plasma+. Beam tech also scales better. Kinetic, remains flat throughout the entire game and does not appreciably benefit from technological improvements.
The reason for this is the damage to weight ratio.
Singularity driver > .84
Durantium driver > 1.07
This small difference, at the end of the tech tree, is worth 26% for more firepower on my test hull.
All weapons have exactly the same specs are far as range and rate-of-fire, accuracy, and cooldown. The only things that change, are, damage, cost, weight. An entry tier Stinger, has exactly the same underlying performance, as the Nightmare Torpedo.
Finally related to ships, the Hyperion Shrinker. While it is somewhat realistic it appears late in game, it also really appears too late to be of much value. If you've reached this point, you likely dont need the additional ship space on your builds that badly. I can see it being OP early in the game definitely, but, currently, it is also (sort of) useless by the time you research it. Its nice to buff your already powerful ships a little more, but, it is not a game changer by any stretch.
I dont own Crusade (yet), so I cannot tell if anything I mention here, has been addressed in the current offering of the base game. I'm just waiting for SD to stop being so cheap and offer a house-arrest sale so I can finally upgrade my 1st gen copy of GCIII.