The world’s best strategy game developers are teaming up

By on September 10, 2014 8:57:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1497

This week the team up of Stardock and Dallas based BonusXP was announced! We’re all very excited to work together on a new game that we think gamers are going to really like.

Little by little the pieces of our long-term strategy get announced.  Here’s a recap of what’s been going on:

• Stardock sells its Impulse digital distribution platform to Gamestop

• Stardock spins off its enterprise software unit into EdgeRunner
  • Stardock builds a second game studio in Plymouth Michigan

• Stardock and the development leads from Civilization V team up to form Oxide Games is founded to build a next-generation strategy game centric 3D engine
  • Stardock and Civilization IV designer Soren Johnson along with the Civilization IV/V art leads team up to form Mohawk Games to develop an economic RTS called Offworld Trading Company
  • Stardock acquires the trademark and publishing rights for the Star Control franchise (www.starcontrol.com)

• Stardock hires Battle.net engineer, Adrian Luff to run Stardock Austin and build a next-generation Metagame platform.
  • Stardock and the development team and designer of the Age of Empires series (BonusXP) team up on an unannounced strategy game
  • [October: New Stardock PC 4X game announcement]
  • [October: New Game Studio announcement soon]
  • [Soon:  New Game Studio announcement soon]

• New IP RTS game announcement
  • New Stardock 4X 4X game released
  • New IP game announcement
  • Galactic Civilizations III release

The nature of the team ups

From a game development point of view, the development, art, sound, music and design teams that were involved in Civilization, Civilization III, Civilization IV, Civilization V, Age of Empires series, Galactic Civilizations series, Sins of a Solar Empire series and more are all able to collaborate, support each other on everything from code review, design suggestions, gameplay feedback, art direction, etc.  

The next few years are going to be an amazing time to be a gamer!

Locked Post 31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 10, 2014 9:28:24 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

You are a genius. I want to buy all this stuff.

While I was reading this, I thought you were making a mmo or new phone services. New games are better though. :3

DARCA.

September 10, 2014 9:31:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Holy hell, cool.

September 10, 2014 9:49:47 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,

That's the understatement of the year!!! Good job getting this all together Brad.

September 10, 2014 10:07:28 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DARCA1213,

[October: New Stardock PC 4X game announcement]
Sins of a Solar Empire 2?  Ok, I know you can't answer, but if you could, would the answer be yes?  (just blink your eyes twice for yes, once for no).

September 11, 2014 12:27:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Probably not Protoplazm, considering Sins is not a 4x game.

September 11, 2014 12:27:57 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,

I might be dumb, but what does "4x 4x" mean?  Also, does "IP" mean something different from "Intellectual Property"?

Anyway, sounds like an exciting schedule to follow - looking forward to what comes out on the other end.

-tid242

September 11, 2014 5:03:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm happy that Stardock and several other devs i like have or are in the process of achieving escape velocity. Feels like we've just entered a golden era in gaming!

September 11, 2014 8:32:45 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I am liking this strategy.

September 11, 2014 10:44:44 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Anyone else find it ironic that the world's best strategy game makers are strategically aligning themselves to work with each other?

September 11, 2014 10:52:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting MisterVertigo,

Anyone else find it ironic that the world's best strategy game makers are strategically aligning themselves to work with each other?

Seems like a strategic move.

September 11, 2014 11:37:08 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting MisterVertigo,

When you're #1 in the power rank always get an alliance with #2.  Then... win!

Quoting tid242,

Also, does "IP" mean something different from "Intellectual Property"?

IP means SD Intellectual Property.  What he means is that they're releasing a game based on some new world that they haven't talked about yet.  So not associated with Elemental, GalCiv, StarCon, etc.  It's some new IP we haven't heard about yet. 

September 11, 2014 2:12:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Looking forward to all this!

September 11, 2014 2:27:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

All wonderful.  Except one thing.  RTS?  Could you modify this RTS to have easily accessible paused features like in DW.  Many of us don't have really fast eye-hand-mouse-joystick reaction times.  Turn based mode?  Please.

September 11, 2014 2:29:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No mention of E2015?

September 11, 2014 2:39:54 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

(I hope enough people here will understand this.)

Meanwhile at Stardock:

September 11, 2014 2:42:09 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Please tell me it's not a 4x game for the phone... bonusXP has only made phone games... there is a huge difference between the two. Although the phone market is huge and you'd be foolish not to at least try to gain some of that market. But i'd rather see new PC games. i don't see the point in playing games on the phone when i have some many other electronics that are far better at gaming.

September 11, 2014 2:49:36 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Matopicus,

Please tell me it's not a 4x game for the phone... bonusXP has only made phone games... there is a huge difference between the two. Although the phone market is huge and you'd be foolish not to at least try to gain some of that market. But i'd rather see new PC games. i don't see the point in playing games on the phone when i have some many other electronics that are far better at gaming.

In Stardock's latest customer report, Brad said he didn't view mobile as a viable market yet. I don't have the link on hand, but it's a worthwhile read.

September 11, 2014 5:36:09 PM from Offworld Trading Company Forums Offworld Trading Company Forums

Is there an ULTIMATE ELITE FOUNDER thing we can buy for like $500 and we get everything you ever make from now on?  SOLD!!!

September 11, 2014 6:07:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Matopicus,

PC game.

September 11, 2014 9:51:43 PM from Brad Wardell's Little Tiny Frogs Brad Wardell's Little Tiny Frogs

Star Control...

I so loved those games. Thank you Stardock for reviving this IP. Can't wait to see what you can do with it.

Can't wait to see the new RTS you are working on.

Can't wait for any of this...

Crap... I'm drooling on my keyboard.

September 12, 2014 12:46:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting Matopicus,

PC game.

So its straight RTS.  I could hope.

September 12, 2014 3:43:28 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting Borg999,
No mention of E2015?

I think that is this one:

[October: New Stardock PC 4X game announcement]

Remember, E2015 hasn't been officially announced yet.

September 12, 2014 7:05:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gaunathor,

Remember, E2015 hasn't been officially announced yet.

Definitely. And the "4X 4X" is a typo I think

September 12, 2014 8:19:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

• Stardock hires Battle.net engineer, Adrian Luff to run Stardock Austin and build a next-generation Metagame platform.
  • Stardock and the development team and designer of the Age of Empires series (BonusXP) team up on an unannounced strategy game
  • [October: New Stardock PC 4X game announcement]
  • [October: New Game Studio announcement soon]
  • [Soon:  New Game Studio announcement soon]

Elemental 2015
Two new Stardock gamestudios!?   That'll be three games by Stardock being made at the same time! 

Quoting ,

New RTS! Yeah!   I know that games like Majesty have been named RTS by their creators though that's false since RTS is WarCraft, StarCraft, Company of Heroes and such.

I hope it will be made with competitive 1v1 in mind but I doubt it.

4x 4x ??    4 x 4 = 16x!   The worlds first 16x!! 

Two new gameannouncements + two new gamestudios = just as expected

Quoting ,

The nature of the team ups

From a game development point of view, the development, art, sound, music and design teams that were involved in Civilization, Civilization III, Civilization IV, Civilization V, Age of Empires series, Galactic Civilizations series, Sins of a Solar Empire series and more are all able to collaborate, support each other on everything from code review, design suggestions, gameplay feedback, art direction, etc.  

Don't know if this has ever happened before in the industry. Will be interesting to see if such collaboration will work out.

September 12, 2014 8:43:26 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting jirkaesch,
Definitely. And the "4X 4X" is a typo I think

It could just be the most meta 4X ever conceived...like a 4X inside of a 4X.

Keanu: Woah...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: